Thursday, May 14, 2020

FAT not UGLY!!!


A few days back while talking to a friend, I told her I have gained weight to which she immediately responded, “But you still look pretty” while being sympathetic. It made me take a step back and contemplate that did I even mention that I look ugly?



Another day, I noticed a remark made by a character of The Big Bang Theory, 'Fatties & Uggos'.  It made me realize how being Ugly & being Fat are always used interchangeably. Fat hatred has become so pervasive that it is part of the fabric of our language and interactions. While what is ugly & what is beautiful is very subjective, it has rather become a universal message that Fat is Ugly. It all begins when you are a kid. Fat is the new ugly on the school playground. Children as young as 4-5 worry about being fat. Children in elementary school call each other fat as a put-down. We have always been told by our family and friends to look up to our friends/siblings who are thinner as they look smarter and prettier. Fat and thin are no longer simply assessments of size or weight, but rather of character.  If you are fat, you are lazy, lousy, and a loser.


Well Played! But it will be naive of me to point fingers at families alone. This will forever be a chicken and an egg story unless we begin to break the chain. If all of us start telling ourselves we are beautiful, it would be a great start. The world will still come at you, and that's a pretty good start.


#fatnotugly #fatgirlstories #bodypositivestories #SelfLove #celebratemycurves #celebratemysize #weightwatchers #beautiful #bodypositiveindia #plussizeindia #stopbodyshaming

15 comments:

  1. Bodyshaming is not a good thing. Fat never makes ugly. Some of my fav includes Sonakshi Sinha too.

    Well written. Good message.

    ReplyDelete
  2. FAT
    It is not a bad Word
    It doesn't mean ugly
    It doesn't mean lazy
    It doesn't mean unhealthy
    It doesn't mean worthless
    peole come in different shape and sizes
    All people deserve basic human respect.
    So love yourself and respect yourself ❤

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well said... 👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻

    ReplyDelete
  5. I learned this a while ago!Being overweight is not a crime and no one gives right to anyone to call us ugly. And loving myself taught me this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes even I learnt it a while ago and once I started loving myself then no one was able to put me down or make me upset.
      Btw thanks for the comment ❤️

      Delete
  6. More Courage !
    Education and grooming at home needs more effort to respect each life's dignity irrespective of physique or appearance.

    More Love
    - Eesha

    ReplyDelete
  7. That true nowadays bodyshaming has being seen everywhere leave the outsiders but people who are very close like family etc. Are too a part.... Nicely discribed siso❤️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much dear.. Yeah, that's true it comes from our closed ones as well.

      Delete

FAT not UGLY!!!

A few days back while talking to a friend, I told her I have gained weight to which she immediately responded, “But you still look prett...